The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge: Walking Through History C4
23 messages
Select a forum:
At least Tony Robinson didn't attempt to walk up Silbury. I read a discussion on FB about the programme and there were some interesting comments - the one I liked best was pointing out that the well known people who took part, archaeologists and historian (Ronald Hutton), set out to illustrate how ancient monuments should be approached - by foot. Which was really the whole essence of the programme.

Someone else said that referring to the Swallowhead Spring as the source of the River Kennet was inaccurate as it is only one source - it is fed from the Winterbourne and other small tributaries. I have always liked Jim Leary's theory that the source of the Kennet is also one of the sources of the Thames as it eventually feeds into it - which may be one of the reasons why Avebury was so important. Water levels would have no doubt been much higher five thousand years ago.

My own gripe was that John Aubrey was written out of Avebury's more recent history.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
26th November 2013ce
09:28

Messages in this topic: