The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eggardon Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Eggardon Hill
Eggardon Hill, Dorset
16 messages
Select a forum:
I was exploring the highly atmospheric Powerstock Forest a couple of years back and my eyes kept being drawn to nearby Eggardon Hill, which overlooks it. Driving towards the latter afterwards along a minor road that connects the two its magnitude and the scale of the ramparts that encircle it became evermore impressive. Not having the time to explore as I would have liked due to a waiting family I took a right turn when I got to the hill down an even more minor road which gradually descended below the ramparts, which were absolutely huge. I'd love to go back one day...returning to Maiden Castle for the first time in forty years on the same trip I decided that Eggardon beat it for 'atmosphere' and earthwork height hands down. I once read that Eggardon was hypothesised to have been the site of decisive battles in Roman times and/or the 'Dark' Ages, but have not found any reference to that on t'internet. I've read the info about it on TMA already, but can anyone expand on that? Anyone else visited? It seems like a 'dark jewel' of Dorset antiquaria. See those earthworks in profile and you don't forget them.

Reply | with quote
spencer
Posted by spencer
14th November 2013ce
00:58

Messages in this topic: