The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
It seems like we'd all like to see less traffic on the roads. There's been some healthy, polite and respectful dialogue about whether and how we can achieve that.

Hitchhiking is probably a bit of a taboo activity now but I wonder if it wouldn’t suit some of us. As a student I hitchhiked from Wiltshire to London on a regular basis. Up as far as Durham once, and to Devon and Cornwall every year for several years (where I had a summer job). Never ever had a problem but did meet some generous drivers along the way who’d treat me to a meal or a cup of tea at roadside cafes, or sometimes go out of their way to take me a little closer to my destination. One guy even bought one of my paintings (come to think of it it was the only painting I ever sold :-)

If anyone is tempted to try hitchhiking here are a few tips (if you haven't done it before but apologies if you have). Drivers only have a few seconds to decide whether or not to pick you up (also, whether it’s possible to pick you up). Good drivers hate inconveniencing others behind them so if you’re thumbing a lift choose a spot on a straight bit of road and stand 20-30 yards before a layby, or somewhere else the driver can safely stop. It’s up to you whether you have a sign with your destination written on it (I never did) but if you do use a sign make it simple and clear with PLEASE written on it. Be careful with your bags or rucksack (I once scratched someone’s car with my rucksack frame and felt really bad about it). If you’re worried about your safety don’t get in a car with a driver (or his/her passengers) that you don’t like the look of and (this is something people of my generation didn’t have) once in ask the driver as soon as possible if you can call a friend with your mobile – it’s a clear signal that you’re in touch with the world and they know more-or-less where you are.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
4th October 2013ce
14:17

Messages in this topic: