The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:

Do we really have to divide up into opposing camps? I thought there was a high level of agreement on this thread. It seems like we'd all like to see less traffic on the roads. There's been some healthy, polite and respectful dialogue about whether and how we can achieve that.

Mustard, you have made some articulate and well argued posts for the car - some of which are irrefutable. Thesweetcheat is a bit of a hero in my book, constantly working out his bus and train routes, always willing to enter into good natured dialogue on a subject he clearly feels passionate about. You summed it up, however, with these words "The car is simply too comfortable, cheap and convenient to be easily displaced."
I haven't really got anything to add without the risk of tailing off into gloom and/or grumpiness. For inspiration I recommend Robert MacFarlane's "The Old Ways - a journey on foot" also his "The Wild Places" - reading about ancient routes across and around the British Isles is inspiring and I suspect some (who are fit enough) would be tempted to walk the same 'old ways' at least some of the time.
Which would be a step in the right direction.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
4th October 2013ce
13:49

Messages in this topic: