The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
nix wrote:
tjj wrote:
We can't turn back time but we can kick our collective addiction to speed and the personal desire to get everywhere in the shortest possible time.

.. Good luck indeed to future generations having to deal with global warming and diminishing sources of energy - let's not forget that the internet uses a massive amount of energy itself. .

"There is no getting around getting around" - wasn't that Julian Cope?

Our culture wouldn't be where it is with the mobility we have. I doubt future generations would want to be with out the benefits of that culture. Cars, the internet, drugs are neutral things - just open to abuse.

I see a much more positive picture - I see things getting better, people starting to behave more responsibly, roads being closed, more bike lanes, better conservation, more awareness - probably in a large part to the repeated protests and efforts of people like yourself - just takes a bit of time and often seems painfully slow!

I think that's a more realistic/optimistic view. What we need as a bare minimum to improve things is a vast investment in public transport, but that isn't going to happen because there's simply no significant demand for it. The only thing that will change that is a fuel crisis, which may very well happen.

Currently, public transport is a joke. I'm hard pressed to find a medium-distance journey that isn't cheaper by car. Most of them are shorter by car. That's really the wrong way round.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
1st October 2013ce
09:25

Messages in this topic: