The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
nix wrote:
Just thought I'd say that although I sympathise with that point of view, it isn't a distraction for me - well, not compared with the huge cost and impact of such a tunnel. We live in the modern world too and the closure of the road adjacent is such an improvement that I think it enough. I quite like the contrast between the two for many sites actually!

Hi nix

Yes, I appreciate your point of view as well – I was just pleasantly surprised at the news that the tunnel hasn’t been totally ditched but accept that there are pros and cons for the idea. Last time I was at Stonehenge it was the traffic noise that I found most distracting, but maybe the wind was blowing from that direction on the day. The sight of moving traffic actually is not such a problem as it appears quite a long way away.

Another bit of news that might be of interest is that -

Devizes Passengers is urging people to use a new shoppers’ service between Devizes and Salisbury. The A360 will be run commercially by Hatts Coaches and stops at Potterne, West Lavington, Tilshead and Shrewton. It leaves Devizes Market Place at 9.25am, arriving in Salisbury just after 10am, and returns from Salisbury at 1.50pm, arriving in Devizes at 2.40pm, Monday to Friday.

“Jasper Selwyn, chairman of Devizes Passengers, said: “If the service is successful it could expand to an hourly frequency serving the new Stonehenge Visitor centre when it opens at the end of this year. This would make it easy for tourists to come from Stonehenge to Devizes, visit the Wiltshire [Heritage] Museum and then continue to Avebury on the number 49 bus.”

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
27th September 2013ce
08:58

Messages in this topic: