The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Stonehenge Access Article
1 message
Select a forum:
Came across this today...I doubt whether 'Entertainment Law' is available free on the web, but librarian types may be able to get hold of a copy.
The Law Society library on Chancery Lane keeps this journal in it's gallery, if you can blag your way in...it's usually full of law student types. I am not a lawyer, & wasn't challenged last time I visited.

Disputing Stonehenge: Law and access to a national symbol
ADMINISTRATIVE - TRESPASS - CONSUMER
Entertainment Law Summer (2002) Vol.1 No. 2 Pages 1-22
1/7/2002
Penny English (Middlesex University)
Reviews the legal conflict caused by a restriction of public access to a national public monument. Traces the ownership of Stonehenge and the historical development of public access and restrictions to the site amid confusion over its original use and significance. Explains the legal difficulties in arguing that certain sections of the public have rights of access when there can never be any certainty of its intended purpose. Examines the competing interests of religious, historical, architectural and social groups and recognises the symbolic function of the site.

Reply | with quote
Posted by konaman
17th October 2002ce
20:54