The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Nine Stones Close cup marked stone Forum Start a topic | Search
55 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
Irate because you insisted he completely dismantle the wall before he could go home for his dinner?

Don't mention the walls !

Seriously though, meeting the land owner was quite "interesting", especially after i mentioned "walking" his walls for over 6 hours, on private land.

Turns out some fecker has been pushing over his walls, hence the nearby repairs. They harvest the long grass to feed their cattle, and one wayward stone went under the mower causing several hundred pounds damage.
Also people crossing the fields willy nilly are causing a lot of the harvest to be lost i'm told.

I'm asked to point out they do not appreciate people on their land, but if you must visit the circle please stick to the original path. The lower field where the second piece is located is totally off limits btw. (there's a colossus of a bull in there atm anyway)

Eventually when talk got round to the preservation of the two smaller pieces i was asked what i'd like done with them, which is where i backed off as it's none of my business, though there was a suggestion they be relocated to the top of a wall outside the owners home where a footpath passes right by. This is over a mile from the original location though.

I've been asked to contact them again at some point to sort it out, and whilst i believe something needs doing i don't see i should be the one making any decisions on them.

How about as an immediate action you suggest to the farmer that they stay roughly where they now are, and you either hide or protect them in some way until you get a reply from the relevant authorities?

Also, I don't know the context, but you could get a GPS ref, take photos, make notes etc, before moving it (I guess it is portable?) to a slightly safer location nearby?

All those are already done. :)
The problem with leaving them where they are is there will never be access to one of the pieces, that was made very clear.

Maybe that's a good thing, i dunno.

Reply | with quote
harestonesdown
Posted by harestonesdown
7th August 2013ce
17:40

In reply to:

Re: It's gone ! (Evergreen Dazed)

1 reply:

Re: It's gone ! (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: