The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Sites near Inverness
39 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tjj wrote:
Many thanks for the pointers all, will make notes and do some research before setting off. On this occasion (as a one off) have agreed to fly up to Inverness - flight gets in midday, after picking up hire car will have the afternoon and evening to make our way to the B&B in Ullapool so we probably wouldn't want to venture too far in the opposite direction. Would love to visit Clava Cairns if it is do-able. Roy,do love gardens so maybe a visit to Inverue on the return journey as flight back is late afternoon (is that the same place as Inverewe Garden).

I do sort of regret not arranging to stay on the mainland for a few days after the week on Lewis but have perishing pets to thinks about - will not be replacing them when they wear out.

Clava cairns is very do- able as it's just outside Inverness, so is barely going backwards at all, I'd even put it as important as your destination - The wonderful Callanish, I know it's high praise indeed but it certainly stays in your mind as strongly, It's one of those places that the stones don't look that big in photo's but they're big beauties and the cairns are lovely, that's how i see the place - somewhere that stone circles and chambered cairns sit together in perfect harmony, and this is from someone who doesn't really like to have later cairns built inside stone circles [i'm not a big fan of the one inside Callanish itself, and think that the inside of the circle would have been better and as intended without it, but that's all 4000 years ago], just a couple of Months left now....and i've got a feeling the weathers going to be wonderful for you as well, it's a good idea to have a 10 min drive to the Clava cairns to make sure the hire cars going to be alright on your longer journey across that part of Scotland, and like george say's it's mainly just lovely scenery inbetween inverness and ullapool, and doesn't take to long at all really, especially with those long days up there at that time of year, i'm also very Jealous.

The mid 19990's excavations noyt only revised the dating of the monuments but also showed that the cairns and stone circles at Clava are almost contemporaneous with the stone circles post dating the cairns .

I'd put my money on contemporaneous or the circle stones slightly older than the Cairns, that's how it looks to my eyes on site, the fact they say "almost contemporaneous" shows how close the dates are, and we all know Carbon dating isn't quite as accurate as they thought it was and all other dating techniques leave something to be desired, when it's so close your guess is as good as mine, it's already gone from the cairns been far older to only just older so the next time someone trying to make a name for themselves will say the circle stones were first to make themselves noticed, all these dates we have now will get revised and changed over the years to come as they use better methods, but i agree that's what they say now, it's just one of those places that the dates don't ring true for me, To close to call i'd say.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
5th March 2013ce
15:51

In reply to:

Re: Sites near Inverness (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Sites near Inverness (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: