The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Sites near Inverness
39 messages
Select a forum:
Not sure how much time you have but if you have a day or two and mibbe a stopover.. going via Inverness to Ullapool... Get coastal... Corrieshalloch Gorge and Loch Maree are a must see. There is a circular route you can do to take in the lot if you have the time.
But dont miss the turn off for the A832 off the A835 at Garve to go via Loch Maree and Gairloch/ North Erradale. A few years back myself and my wee family were staying at a lovely self catering at South Erradale and the views over the water to Skye were eye-watering. I recall eating my breakfast looking at the Old Man of Storr/ Quiraing as it was caught in a shaft of sunlight 25 miles away.

There are some scattered sites north of Gairloch (a crannog on Loch Tollaidh - watch your pronunciation...!) and a dead-end road detour to a prehistoric trail at an area north of Big Sand (just north of Melvaig and North Erradale) which has a few roundhouses, mesolithic scatters etc.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/sand-river.shtml

Return to Gairloch to take the road over to Kinlochewe. Aye a stop at the gardens at Kinlochewe is great (a might pricey if I remember right... but you can go along the coast a bit and wander in...), then a nice scenic windy coastal road after that (some amazing WWII massive fortifications at Loch Ewe). Head on round to Ullapool for a great fish supper. Return via Corrieshalloch and the bleak, often drained mass of Loch Glascarnoch and its massive reservoir. You'll be back over the Conon Bridge in no time. Watch for the roadworks on the Kessock Bridge just now.
It'll look great up there in May.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
5th March 2013ce
10:45

In reply to:

Sites near Inverness (tjj)

Messages in this topic: