The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avening Burial Chambers Forum Start a topic | Search
Avening Burial Chambers
Re: Thanks Baza and Carl
16 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's not as bad as I might have made it sound. It's only a very short way from the road really. If you pick your route to avoid the wire you'll be fine, especially if you approach from below rather than above.

Imbolc today, my favourite day of the year. In past years I probably would have headed out towards Avebury, today I went in the opposite direction to Cricklade where I met up with my good friend 'who has a car' and we headed off into the Cotswolds and Avening. Following your directions we found the private road easily (about 200 metres past the local school) on the other side of the road. We quickly spotted the place where others have scrambled down the bank under the barbed wire - a bit steep but we went carefully. What a great surprise these two little chambered tombs are. Set into the bank they reminded me of the Cork wedge tombs in size - they look down over a fast flowing river which sparkled in the sunshine.
Wonderful!
Thank you - photo and little field note to follow later.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
2nd February 2013ce
18:10

In reply to:

Re: Thanks Baza and Carl (thesweetcheat)

2 replies:

Re: Thanks Baza and Carl (GLADMAN)
Re: Thanks Baza and Carl (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: