The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
Bronze Age Axe Head find at Wolstonbury
11 messages
Select a forum:
Hello All, (particularly Rhiannon, Bladup and Scubi63)

Sorry to dig this up (ha ha), but I've only just read the comments on my misc. post about this, and thought I would share what I know about it, in case you were interested, and to dispel any impressions that I approve of robbing out artifacts with metal detectors! ;-D

Anyways, I am local to this site, and originally heard about this from one of the 'Friends of Wolstonbury' which is a group concerned with conservation of the hill etc. One of their number had found it during scrub clearance. She reckoned it was lying on the grass, but it sounds like it was shallowly interred, so I can only think it was in the process of uprooting scrub that it was discovered.

The cartridges are likely to be from the WW2 firing range right next to Wolstonbury. You can find loads of cartridges and other spent ordnance in this area.

I suspect Rhiannon is right in thinking that originally an evil metal detectorist has found and dug the axe head plus a load of cartridges and stashed them together, then has either discarded it or been struck down by a bronze age ghost and dropped it (or something).

At least the person who found it 2nd time round did the right thing and recorded it with Portable Antiquities. It has been checked and published by PAS, so it looks like it is the genuine article. I was just excited because I am always checking mole-hills for microliths and this would be a dream find.
How much do you reckon I would get for it on Amazon? (joke!!!)

Be happy and be nice to each other,

Dan

Reply | with quote
danielspaniel
Posted by danielspaniel
22nd November 2012ce
14:44

Messages in this topic: