The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
Re: Bronze Age Axe Head find at Wolstonbury
11 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope it does end up somewhere it can be viewed and enjoyed by everyone. I must find out where the 'Wolstonbury Trust Collection' actually is...

I've got a bit of a confession to make about metal detectors/ Wolstonbury though, but before I tell it I must make clear that I would not condone finding, digging up and stealing any archaeology and have educated my kids about this as well!

My 6 year old son, Tom, got a toy metal detector for his birthday (not from me, I hasten to add!)
As I mentioned before, lots of bits of shrapnel, bullet casings etc can be found lying on the ground (not under it) at the WW2 firing ranges near Wolstonbury.
As you can imagine, Tom absolutely loves this (why are little boys so war-like?) and we often end up wandering round the range area searching for bullet casings with me trying to persuade Tom to carry on up to the enclosure on the top of the hill!
Needless to say, he was keen to get his detector out and find some shrapnel with it, although to be honest it is a toy and it would struggle to find a bike. I had serious reservations about even being seen with a metal detector, but consoled myself with the fact they have livestock grazing in the area now, and the farmer is more than happy for sharp bits of metal to be removed from the pasture. As we were walking towards the area one of those heavy rainstorms that you can see coming across the hills as a mist bore down on us and the squall literally chased us back to the car, giving our inadequate clothing a good soaking in the process -
serves us right, I suppose! I was secretly glad we didn't get chance to get his new toy out.

I guess even WW2 shrapnel is the archaeology of the future, and will maybe one day be considered as mysterious and enigmatic as a BA axe head. Perhaps all such artifacts ought to be recorded and/ or left in situ? What do you reckon?

Best Wishes,

Dan

Reply | with quote
danielspaniel
Posted by danielspaniel
23rd November 2012ce
11:28

Messages in this topic: