The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Derbyshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Derbyshire
Re: Peak District -Off roaders
58 messages
Select a forum:
postman wrote:
The point I was trying to make is we've talked about this before and it gets us nowhere, and never can, unless you protest loudly and unceasingly. Of course its insensitive to say the very least to be using henges and hill forts as a BMX track or whatever , and yes i've seen the mess they can make but I don't really recall any damage to an ancient place, perhaps I've successfully blanked it out. These places in the Peak, (and i'm not far away) I confess I don't know much about, but is it expressly forbidden to do off roading there ? where should they go to do it, if walking in the countryside was confined to a recognised place how would you feel. How many beaches have forbidden dog walking, gets me does that.

The "Great man" in question was actually a Clint Eastwood character, so it was never real, but the sentiment is real enough, an opinion is only relevant inside the thinkers head, and is only right to them. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you can opinionate till the cows come home, but its only pertinent to them.

Something else, walking, is it funny how its most enjoyed and espoused by those with no car, my job entails a walk of maybe ten miles a day carrying weight, so I have perhaps a unique view of it. If you had to walk as a job you might see it differently. If I could drive up Carnedd Llewelyn I would.

But like I said, all this gets us nowhere, absolutely nowhere, pointless in the extreme. If I sound bitter and twisted then so be it, my life is by no means an idyllic paradise, and sometimes that lack of happyness bleeds through. Sorry.

One thing for sure is off roading is lots of fun, much more fun than walking

I think the people who enjoy walking often don't have a car because they enjoy the speed of walking and what you can take in on the journey, not really though any dislike of cars themselves, but they probably have a dislike of the pollution though, i do, i still take lifts though [any idiot can learn to drive, i've known loads of people pass their tests who couldn't even control a shopping trolley nevermind a car], I have drove cars and they're fun, but i don't drive because my attention levels would mean i would kill myself and/or someone else and the fact they're fucking up everything with their pollution [this will be different if they're ever pollution free] nevermind their tyres, so one less car on the road is surely a good thing, one car for each person is far too much in my opinion, and if people like you [not lazy] think it's alright to drive up mountains then there's fuck all hope in stopping anyone else then, no wonder you didn't want any opinions to the contrary and please remember some people here don't know it's all been spoke about before as they're new here and it's easy if you know it's all been said before - don't read it! i didn't realise that when you said to stop talking about it [and i joked about liking it when your like that], you had an opinion so strongly for it, this gives what you said a different meaning, and it becomes "i don't agree with this, so shut up", this is what now makes it wrong as nobody should tell other people to stop talking because they don't agree, disagree with it- yes of course, to tell people to stop talking about something is wrong [no one was been abused], you wait till there's a trail of 4x4's up all the hills and mountains and then tell us again how great it is, and i've seen 100's of ancient sites with 4x4 tracks though them, so yes it does seem like you've got selected memory to fit with what you're saying on this, and because of this I imagine you'll see loads now, and hopefully that will change your mind, the whole point for me getting away in the wild is so i've not got cars and the like around [good clean air, no noise etc], it's good that people can only get so close to somewhere and then have to walk [it's good for them and the countryside, so everyones a winner], it's the reason a lot of these monuments are still here, if everyone felt they could get there, they would be quickly wreaked by the amount of people and vehicles, if 4x4's and the like were everywhere it would spoil it for me to the point i wouldn't want to be there anymore, and that will happen over my dead body, the only positive i can think of is the great deaths some of the deadheads could have by falling off mountainsides in their beloved cars, this is the only positive thought i can get to on the matter.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
28th October 2012ce
14:22

In reply to:

Re: Peak District -Off roaders (postman)

Messages in this topic: