The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Derbyshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Derbyshire
Re: Peak District -Off roaders
58 messages
Select a forum:
BPR_MiK wrote:
Hmm this is a tricky one for me.
Although as a walker I hate the rutted paths and the noise of off roaders I also think it would be better for the NT to do something so we can all share the countryside rather than trying to ban one set of countryside users.
After-all, the kinder trespass was all about freedom for everyone and will it take an off-road mass trespass to get rights for everyone ?

Difficult one that, but freedom to destroy old green lanes, which were not in the first place meant for macho driving of large jeeps and landrovers. Actually if you measure the freedom of walkers, horse riders, people with children and dogs then the accumulated dangers mount up from the mechanised brigade
We saw four 'off roaders' parked just outside Avebury couple of years back, mud up to the roof and off hunting crop circles, I actually could not see the point of either exercise? both in the end destructive as they were forcing the wire down to get into the field....
Anyway, here is a link to the confrontation in the Peak District betwixt bikers and villagers, fairly low key.. Brecon Beacons by the way also had the same problem, you could see the path the bikers made from space I think ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00lgvf7

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
25th October 2012ce
08:16

In reply to:

Re: Peak District -Off roaders (BPR_MiK)

Messages in this topic: