The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rudston Monolith Forum Start a topic | Search
Rudston Monolith
Re: Wind turbines at Rudston
69 messages
Select a forum:
I would imagine what you mean is that you'd like to see fields and hills without evidence of human interference? Its a bit too late for that i'm afraid.

There’s human interference and human interference. Our ancient hedges, walls and field systems, our heather-covered moors and rolling downlands all lift the spirit (well, they lift mine) opencast mining doesn’t.

We’ve had this discussion before, and one of the things that came out of it is that turbines are not as environmentally friendly as they might seem (and I’m not just talking about the detrimental effect they can and do have on birdlife). Indications are that the amount of energy expended on constructing the turbine itself, the building of substations, the laying of cabling, access roads etc, and then relying on an inconsistent source of power to turn the blades might be the wrong way forward in the sustainable energy issue (not to mention the issue of landscape conservation). Of course, those on whose land the turbines are built will be laughing all the way to the bank, and perhaps we should be looking more closely at who those people are and how much they are actually raking in from these projects.

Personally I think the way forward in the turbine debate lies with the undersea variety - still expensive but out of sight and powered by a consistent and totally predictable source.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
12th September 2012ce
12:12

In reply to:

Re: Wind turbines at Rudston (Evergreen Dazed)

1 reply:

Re: Wind turbines at Rudston (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: