The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coldrum Forum Start a topic | Search
Coldrum
Re: Stone of kerb used to polish axes??
79 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
Could I ask a question - apologies in advance if it is a naive one (probably something I should know). The stones along WK Avenue appear to have been worked - what do you think was used to shape them. I thought about this a bit last night - stone axes would have been fairly useless surely when it comes to working on sarsen.

It feels as though there is a missing link here - something that has been lost in the mists of time, that archaeology has not been able to unearth.

To work sarsen as at Stonehenge and West Kennet : use of sarsen , skill , strength and time , both for the gross shaping and also the more subtle dressing .There has been the suggestion of the use of A frames , close to the Stonehenge avenue sarsen chips have been found surrounding the "shadow " of a monolith .

Was just about to log off until this evening but will come back to this - what do you think they used as implements Tiompan. What you posted about copper from Ireland and bronze just coming in is very relevant as was reading about how bronze was made just the other day (also used tin from Cornwall). Still don't think they had anything we would consider hard enough to chip away at sarsen.
Will think about it some more while out and about ... ponder, scratch head etc.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
5th September 2012ce
11:48

Messages in this topic: