The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coldrum Forum Start a topic | Search
Coldrum
Re: Stone of kerb used to polish axes??
79 messages
Select a forum:
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
I believe the polisher isn't in it's original location but was moved there from.............Well i don't really know but that's what i was told. :)

TJJ, Yes, The avenue stone would have been impossible to work in it's current position.

There's also several polishing marks in the West Kennett longbarrow, Some obvious, Some not so, Until you touch them.

I believe there are several dozen more documented (in the Avebury area) but i can't remember the source.

Go and sit at the polisher in the avenue and pretend to polish, it's perfect where it is, the fyfield downs polisher was stood up as well and the main polisher outside the second chamber on the left in west kennet is stood up as well, 3 stones, all polishers and all were stood up when used, honestly just go sit at the 2 still stood up and you'll see what i mean, .

With respect i can't disagree more, Having spent many hours by the polisher and the WKLB examples, And a fair bit of time by the WKA one.
I 100% believe in use they would have been recumbent. Using them erect would be quite pointless and the toil would have been extra tortuous, Imo.

Aye, surely the avenue stone was recumbent when in use as a polisher?
It would seem an awkward choice, otherwise.

I love going to up to the polisher on Fyfield. I remember being totally blown away the first time I visited and sat there running my fingers over the smooth surface. I couldn't believe such a thing still existed.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
4th September 2012ce
08:39

In reply to:

Re: Stone of kerb used to polish axes?? (harestonesdown)

Messages in this topic: