The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Well, we’re not yet sure if Weedon Hill (the name used by Stukeley) is natural or manmade. When I trespassed there (tsk :-) a few years ago it looked manmade, but until we know for sure everything’s conjecture isn’t it. Having said that, its position, so close to the Kennet and Swallowhead, suggests that (if it is manmade) it might predate both Silbury and the Marlborough Mound.

Excavating it might solve quite a few mysteries but then we’re faced with the dilemma of desecrating it - as was done at Silbury. Jeeze... we’re going round in circles on this one – to dig or not to dig, that is the question.

I know we're going round in circles here but you've tresspassed on silbaby and to speak of the view from the top of silbury, you must have been up there to, it's just that i have been on both about 3 times and this would stop me saying to other people not to, i wanted to know the whole landscape before i did it, i love seeing a landscape i love from different places so was a none brainer for me and i've done it twice since so i think the views are a bit better than you say they are!, mr cope and people who haven't been up have the right to say it, i'm just not sure it's right for people who have to say " we have, you shouldn't ", even if that was when you were allowed, if they laid a strong removable path like sanctuary said and people all went up the same way, it wouldn't cause any real damage, like lots of people keep saying ALL the structural damage has been caused not by feet but by idiot destroying archaeologists, as for wildlife that's true for anywhere we put our feet in this world, this is clearly just another way/reason for them to try to keep people off, which it does, the people who really want to, do it anyway and it'll never be an amount that will wreck it as most people nowadays are too lazy to climb it and are happy to see it on the way past or from the viewpoint [ which is sometimes overgrown!! ], so the people who do must really want to, the problem at this time is people are walking up all different ways and lot of different paths are appearing and it looks really really bad, so if you can't stop them [ without evil razer wire, which people would just cut with clippers to get in anyway ] cut your losses and do what sanctuary said and at least take the people up a one allowed path, like in the past. They could look what went wrong then and try to rectify it, as it must be better [for now] than whats happening right there, right now.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
10th September 2012ce
13:04

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Room for a view (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: