The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Both worth quoting again tsc -

“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Edmund Hillary

"The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal. Always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest; always there will be the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking, and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind and body." Alfred Wainwright.

It’s a tricky one isn’t it, so many facets. The conservation question is not disputed – if climbing Silbury is going to damage it then don’t do it. It’s the other facets that are harder to get your head around. I completely understand Sanctuary’s point of view but here’s another hypothetical carrot for the stew – if those who built Silbury had decreed that no-one but a select few were worthy enough to climb it would we still think we had a right to do so?

That’s not as farfetched as it might seem. Fuji was out of bounds to ordinary folk until the 19th century – only Shinto priests were allowed to climb it (think that also included female shrine attendants). The first Western woman was English – the wife of Harry Smith Parks (Plenipotentiary and Consul-General to Japan from 1865-83). I never have and never want to climb Fuji. Along with paintings and prints, I’ve seen Fuji from a distance countless times (it’s breath-taking) and once from the air (fantastic!). I’m told the path to the top of Fuji today is strewn with litter and the clamour of tourists.

We don’t need to conquer something for it to become part of us, anymore than we need the copyright to a piece of music to enjoy and be moved by it.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
9th September 2012ce
18:49

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Room for a view (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: