The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Putting aside the rights and wrongs of climbing Silbury, I have to disagree with both The Eternal and Sanctuary when they say (to paraphrase) the view from the top is great and helps put the monument within its landscape. The view from the top isn’t that great actually because you can’t see much further than the downs immediately surrounding the monument. There’s a much better view of both Silbury and the surrounding landscape from the top of Waden Hill – from there the monument is truly in the landscape (ditto the views from the Sanctuary and Windmill Hill).

Littlestone,

I agree that the view from the top of Silbury Hill isn't the best view of the area. However, I think that the view from there is very relevent to the meaning of its construction. And if we are denied that view, then we can't possibly have a credible opinion of why Silbury Hill was built. Surely, the view from the top is crucial to the debate on why it was built. It's like saying that the orientation of the Stonehenge Avenue means nothing with respect to the construction of that monument.

Silbury Hill is a hill. Why is it a hill? That is the question. It's big, and has a flat top, so that has to be important. Is it for a view, or is it for size? If just for size, then why such a flat top?

As for access to the top, well, that is a topic worthy of debate. Control is necessary, but access has to be within that control. Otherwise, why preserve something that no-one can see?

Cheers,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
8th September 2012ce
23:22

In reply to:

Room for a view (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Room for a view (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: