The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

What happened after completion however is maybe the interesting bit; was it reserved for special ceremonies with only an elite few allowed access, was it open to all at any time, or was it a combination of both when it was out of bounds to most people most of the time but opened up a few times a year for special occasions.

Or was it just left alone by the builders as the job was done? We know it was 'used' by others later but maybe it served a non working purpose to the builders and was simply part of a larger picture. No Neolithic/BA burials have been found so it may have served no ceremonial type purpose on its own. I have my own thoughts but I'm away off to Penwith in 5 minutes so will see you all on my return. Play nicely :-)

I'll tell you what Silbury was in creartion when you get back from taking the dogs for a bark, then maybe you'll stop going' on about it!

Reply | with quote
VBB
Posted by VBB
2nd September 2012ce
14:08

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: