The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
tjj wrote:

Is there no possibility of actually fining people people caught up there. I'm a fairly tolerate sort person but there does come a time when right and wrong are clearly defined. Smoking is a fairly good analogy ... its only a short while ago that people smoked in pubs, restaurants, buses and even cinemas. It took legislation and the policing of the general public to stop it - it is no longer socially acceptable to do something which society tolerated a couple of decades ago. The threat of up to a £1000 fine would make people think twice.

Ah! I've had some information given to me regarding the above ...

Trespass is not a criminal offence as such. It only becomes criminal when damage takes place. Damage has to be proved and priced and that's very difficult to prove...

On a secondary point it is likely that any trespasser who fell down the 'hill' would have a good case against the owner/curator on the grounds of H/S and the fact that they hadn't done enough to prevent trespass.
(Thanks T)

A bit of a Catch 22 for EH.

Think of all the peoples feet over all the years and then think of all the excavations and tunnels and the changing shape of the structure due to collapse, it isn't even close, the feet have done nothing at all, one of the main reasons they don't want people up there is because there's a chance the whole thing could collapse in on itself because of all the tunnels, what is it filled in with nowadays? is it still the polystyrene?, the archaeologist's have done all the damage, i'd guess they haven't finished yet either, worse the pity.

This topic is locked
bladup
Posted by bladup
1st September 2012ce
21:53

Messages in this topic: