The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:

Is there no possibility of actually fining people people caught up there. I'm a fairly tolerate sort person but there does come a time when right and wrong are clearly defined. Smoking is a fairly good analogy ... its only a short while ago that people smoked in pubs, restaurants, buses and even cinemas. It took legislation and the policing of the general public to stop it - it is no longer socially acceptable to do something which society tolerated a couple of decades ago. The threat of up to a £1000 fine would make people think twice.

Ah! I've had some information given to me regarding the above ...

Trespass is not a criminal offence as such. It only becomes criminal when damage takes place. Damage has to be proved and priced and that's very difficult to prove...

On a secondary point it is likely that any trespasser who fell down the 'hill' would have a good case against the owner/curator on the grounds of H/S and the fact that they hadn't done enough to prevent trespass.
(Thanks T)

A bit of a Catch 22 for EH.

This topic is locked
tjj
Posted by tjj
1st September 2012ce
21:31

Messages in this topic: