The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Its no more offensive than saying Keep off the Grass at Warwick Castle, which people do in their millions.

I'm not saying lock up all sites, or any. Avebury is open and works OK. Stonehenge is partly open and works OK. Im merely saying maybe Silbury could be made a site in which respect for prehistoric sites is given substance. Its hardly an offensive suggestion considering its a concrete proposal for improving public attitudes towards thousands of prehistoric sites.

Other than words, where else are efforts being made to improve public attitudes towards thousands of prehistoric sites?

I didn't even say stop people visiting. Just visit by prior appointment in a structured fashion. The proposal isnt primarily about Silbury its about establishing an example of respect for monuments and notices but if youre going to insist on a right of instant access for all despite the notices then obviously the suggestion will fail. But why? You dont get that at Stonehenge, and you CAN go there by prior appointment and visit in a structured way. What exactly are you saying the idea would deprive people of? The right to jump the fence without permission?

Education, big sentence's for destruction and if all else falls physically protecting them, are the only answers that come to my mind, and the way stonehenge is run should be avoided at all costs and the same for newgrange in ireland [they are run for money!!!! not protection ], avebury with people making sure nothing is dug or damaged is the way [ free access for all ], for example at avebury this year we saw a lot of the stones with fresh holes dug near them, when we had a look people had dug holes to put big crystals in them, 2 points - the people who did this wouldn't see it as litter or destruction [need education] and who's/what's there to stop them? [needs big sentence's or physical protection] as the NT are a useless bunch. As i said before archaeologist's are to blame for a lot of destruction as well [ 2nd after farming ], so it shouldn't be them protecting the places as they want to dig the biggest holes, we should leave the places in that sense as soon we'll be able to find out everything we need to without digging any holes at all, but please remember the places are there to be used, visited and enjoyed, i believe they were built to last, so therefore the builders would want us to enjoy them, it's all about a lack of respect and that could be applied to almost anything nowadays couldn't it?

This topic is locked
bladup
Posted by bladup
1st September 2012ce
15:19

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: