The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Listing destruction
80 messages
Select a forum:
Of course everyone here has the opportunity on TMA to register in a logical and rational manner the destruction of sites. Here we have all the sites to hand, it maybe an idea to categorise them to a simple format. Upland cairns risk destruction at the hands of walkers and farmers, this is ongoing. Big sites such as stone circles have a different set of problems, mostly to do with people's perception of them and their own subjective beliefs. Beautifully restored long barrows also suffer from this as well.
How do you draw up historical destruction, ongoing farming destruction and modern day destruction lists? I am sure it can be done, or even separately on another site. But it is the recording which is so needed, not everyone giving vent in the forum which then slips away into the unfathomable depths of the internet.
In the end recording is the most important thing we can do for posterity, for the sites themselves, and for those who go to visit them.
Like you TSC I think the fate of Avebury and Stonehenge rests with their guardians and will be addressed in time, it is those smaller places slipping away with time and destructive ignorance that needs to be spelt out.
Watching over the years the slow destruction of a barrow cemetery under the heavy tread of large tractors taught me one thing, there is an inevitability about it and no matter how many emails I sent to the county archaeologist, it would still go on.....

This topic is locked
moss
Posted by moss
1st September 2012ce
09:57

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (thesweetcheat)

2 replies:

Re: Listing destruction (Evergreen Dazed)
Re: Listing destruction (bladup)

Messages in this topic: