The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
...But for my money Silbury's plight fades into insignifcance compared with that of many of our less well known sites. .....

I've just returned from an early evening tramp up Ridge Hill, East Moor to take a few photographs of the once beautiful ring cairn on the eastern end. Words fail you when you see how the bastards have ripped this sacred cairn apart to make what appears to be a sheep pen out of it. As the following pix show this nigh on 70ft diameter ring cairn with a central standing stone which partial excavation has revealed a cremation burial under a granite slab has been violated to a degree that brings shame to all who have contributed to its demise (not that they care a toss!).
I really don't know what the answer is. Education doesn't seem to get you anywhere because in the main the overwhelming population today appear to
have their own problems to deal with and simply turn a blind eye to what they see as no big deal. A landworker I spoke to on the moorland road beneath the hill saw it as 'Just a heap of stones'.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1[...]authkey=Gv1sRgCOK3jZnhuoq-zgE#

This is exactly the problem. If it was an isolated incident, maybe it would be less hard to bear, but it's widespread and continual, all over the country. These are the sites that need to be protected, awareness raised and the state of preservation recorded and monitored. All over the country. Not just one mound in Wiltshire (I know, I sound like a broken record).

Unless you're out there seeing the damage, every trip, week-in, week-out, it might be easy to dismiss the ongoing damage to these obscure sites as unimportant, as minor, especially when compared with the threat to the Really Important Sites, which need round the clock monitoring or they will turn to dust before our eyes. But I refuse to see it that way.

These obscure sites all represent this country's heritage and are vital in understanding the full scope of what was going on here in prehistoric times. The interrelationship with each other and with landscape forms, all of that is being lost, rapidly.

But no-one raises a whimper, because they're not in a World Heritage Site, they're not visible to the coachloads of tourists. So no-one minds if another little cairn is trashed, another little barrow is ploughed out, another little stone is toppled and broken, because they're not important enough. Well I bloody well think they are. These are the sites we should be most concerned about, the ones not on the guardian bodies' radar.

It always makes me wonder how we've ended up like this, seeing knobheads just destroy everything before our very eyes feels like some form of torture, it's the same with the raping of the earth and pollution, these monuments have been here so long and to see this happening now feels like we are letting down the ancestor's, you would have hoped that those sort of things were in the past, but no such luck, things now are worse than ever and probably only going to get worse with the population of the planet growing and growing, i just hope that when they die they get fucked up just like the things they have fucked up, at least we can rest in the fact that we are better than those fuckwits, i hope you can feel my anger and pain, i am someone who has to hold back the tears when i see a big quarry, and the fact that people pay to go in some mines and are proud of the things we've done to the earth makes me sick, talk about different worlds.

This topic is locked
bladup
Posted by bladup
1st September 2012ce
00:25

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: