The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Emma A wrote:
Kids leave primary school thinking that the only history to happen in Britain was Henry VIII and World War II - prehistory happened in Ancient Egypt! The education system really needs to start instilling some respect in the kids: respect for our man-made and natural heritage.

That's exactly what I was taught just about 6 or 7 years after WW2. As I was born and lived on an island that was occupied by the Germans during that war it was the bloody last thing we wanted to hear about. And as for Henry 8, well all us kids thought that everybody in his time dressed like him and looked a right load of clowns as they never mentioned anyone else!

Kids seem to enjoy learning about WWII now, especially if they get to meet someone who actually lived through it, and I suppose it's easy to get hold of artefacts, which might be part of the reason it's taught so often. I'm sure I did WWII about 4 or 5 times when I was at school - once would have been enough!

A couple of years ago, a new National Curriculum was about to come out which would have given teachers more scope to choose the topics they want to cover, but it was scrapped when the new government came in!

This topic is locked
Emma A
Posted by Emma A
31st August 2012ce
10:27

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: