The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:

This is a very difficult issue which, perhaps, doesn't even have an realistic answer. People aren't suddenly going to miraculously be educated to view their ancient heritage with wonder and care for it as (we believe) it should be cared for. Also I'm not for a moment saying that Silbury is 'worth' the same as other monuments..... it is an incredibly iconic creation so arguably needs more attention. But like I said, fences - unless we go down the Edwardian 'Whispering Knights' or 'Kits Koty' route.... which I believe to be truly counter productive - do not work (in my opinion). So harsher penalties for vandals to add a greater deterrent value, on-site notices to attempt to educate the well meaning but ignorant.... and more people to visit sites and spread the word! Nothing of lasting benefit is ever achieved by force and I think fences are simply papering over the cracks in the way society views its heritage.

I agree totally with Gladman. In an ideal world all our ancient sites would be open and free to Joe public who would admire and respect them, taking only photo's and leaving nothing but lasting memories. However, the world is not like (most of) us would want it, it is has more than its fair share of oiks who have total disregard for anything or anybody. You put up notices they ignore them, put up fences and they will get over them, you provide security 24/7 and they will treat it as a challenge and get through it. They treat site with contempt and leave their crap for others to find. For everyone you manage to educate there are 10 more waiting to take their place.
I have been wandering around Avebury and other sites for 40 years and I can quite on honestly say things are getting worse, helped largely by the trusts that run them by advertising these places. Once you get hoards of oiks, sorry I mean visitors the trusts then need to get money from them so that they can provide parking facilities, control the visitors and maintain/repair the site. Stonehenge being the worst (IMHO) to date with Avebury close behind.
I think everybody on here knows that the only way to maintain our heritage is to get money from somewhere to employ people to do it for us but that money has to come from somewhere. Maybe from our taxes (not so easy atm), Lottery funds (everybody wants some of that), or entrance fees at more popular sites (Stonehenge again) or (god forbid) commercial sponsorship. The big society seemed a possibility but no longer so maybe this isn't the only way.
The only real people who can make a difference is us, we shouldn't have to but short of barring the public from access what choice is there. Many of us have cleared rubbish from sites, done the odd bit of pruning, even moved the odd dislodged stone back in situ. I have also told the oiks and their spawn to 'stop climbing the stones' and reported damage to those responsible when required. It's not much but if all like minded people did something then that is better than everybody doing nothing.
I don't want a pat on the back, I just want to see these great places last for the next generation of TMA'ers and appreciating public. So there you have it, my view for what it worth.

:o)

This topic is locked
scubi63
Posted by scubi63
30th August 2012ce
21:15

Messages in this topic: