The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Yeah, poor Silbury. But a fence is never going to put off the moron who 'just has' to climb it, is it?

But for my money Silbury's plight fades into insignifcance compared with that of many of our less well known sites. I've just returned from a visit to Picws Du (Y Mynydd Du) and experienced the sheer ignorance such high places are accorded by the masses..... for sure the Mam C and I were the only two out of perhaps a hundred to accord due respect (however you define that?) to a large Bronze age round barrow crowning the summit. No-one else gave a damn. Nothing. The centre of the monument appears to possess the remains of a cist. But not for much longer. Not at this rate. Silbury has it easy. But out of sight appears out of mind.

You're spot on the money there Gladman. If they can't sort an iconic site such as Silbury out that sits alongside a main A road in a World Heritage Site, what chance has a remote site got...zilch!!

When on the "tour" [ it's over before it begins ] of Knowth [ they've built a showroom inside the tomb!!!! ] the guild said proud as punch " this place never leaked a drop of water for 4500 years until we got our hands on it, now it leaks every time it rains" i flipped ( a few others chipped in to support me- other english people ], the guy backtracked straight away and said " i only work here, i didn't do it" i said "why you proud though?" he said "i don't know" and ended it with "you bunch of pricks" i felt so angry and sad, i had sneaked in the night before to look around, but the main chamber was locked up, so i paid my money the next day, i wish i hadn't, at newgrange i tried taking a picture of the triple spiral, only for the tour guild to try snatching my camara out my hand, we had a tuck of war [ i won ], i flipped again and said " the only reason i can't take a photo is i wouldn't then want to buy one out the fucking shop" the guild then shocked me by saying " Yes that's right", again i felt angry and sad, it is like a theme park, i would hate for avebury and silbury and wk longbarrow to go that way though, i did wonder though if my problems in ireland had anything to do with me been related on my mum's side to cromwell, it did cross my mind, [ i do have a strong deep seated mistrust of catholic's as well, as everyone can now see why, what lovely priest's [ beast's ] they have!!!!].

This topic is locked
bladup
Posted by bladup
30th August 2012ce
12:54

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: