The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Yeah, poor Silbury. But a fence is never going to put off the moron who 'just has' to climb it, is it?

But for my money Silbury's plight fades into insignifcance compared with that of many of our less well known sites. I've just returned from a visit to Picws Du (Y Mynydd Du) and experienced the sheer ignorance such high places are accorded by the masses..... for sure the Mam C and I were the only two out of perhaps a hundred to accord due respect (however you define that?) to a large Bronze age round barrow crowning the summit. No-one else gave a damn. Nothing. The centre of the monument appears to possess the remains of a cist. But not for much longer. Not at this rate. Silbury has it easy. But out of sight appears out of mind.

It is like some sort of punishment to end up on this beautiful planet with such idiots, it also gets me people can go to such beautiful places [they must like it] and just drop litter like it's the most normal thing in the world, with spoons like that what chance do the cairns have, it all makes me quite sad.

I agree with the sentiments of both these posts and the subject of people climbing on Silbury has been discussed many times. I've been hanging out around Avebury for well over a decade now and in just that short time I've seen marked changes. The Avebury WHS has become a sort of archaeological theme park - I'm sure others will agree that part of the charm in visiting West Kennett Long Barrow was making your way up the narrow track at a field edge - this has now been opened up, widened and no longer feels hidden away. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people visit Avebury complex every week in the summer. They all walk on the henge banks and those that get as far as WKLB usually walk on it. If Silbury had open access, erosion would very quickly become a BIG problem due to the volume of visitors.

And yet there are unsung places around Wiltshire that people just don't go to. The other day I had a great walk around on the downs near Aldbourne which is full of Bronze Age archaeology - a row of round barrows, individual barrows in the middle of crop fields, disc barrows, ancient filed systems. Not necessarily to be climbed but viewed and enjoyed from a distance while walking through the landscape.

This topic is locked
tjj
Posted by tjj
30th August 2012ce
10:06

Messages in this topic: