The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
I'm asking - What would you like to see done to fix this issue?

Fixed? Probably never, there are too many plonkers in the world. Discouraged? Perhaps best achieved by not taking lightly comments, videos etc by those who still think it’s a bit of a chuckle and a bit of a lark (or their god-given right) to climb Silbury when it damn well isn’t - and to continue hammering that point home whenever and wherever necessary (regardless of some of the bollocks that gets thrown back at you from some quarters).

Reminder: it’s not so very long ago that English Heritage planned to leave a time capsule in Silbury – one hell of a harebrain/totally-against-acceptable-conservation-practices if ever there was one (and a plan supported by some stoneheads who should have known a darn-site better). That plan by English Heritage was effectively stopped by a letter from Lord Avebury to the press, not to mention the unwavering action of some here and several long debates on these pages (scroll back a couple of years to find them).

So ask not what I would do (I’ve spent 50 goddam years of my life saving a bit of the world’s heritage and deserve a break :-) ask yourself what you and your generation (if it’s a younger one) will do. Thankfully there are some younger voices of sanity even on this short thread so not all is lost.

This topic is locked
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
30th August 2012ce
08:05

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: