The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lodge Park Forum Start a topic | Search
Lodge Park
Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow
84 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Another unsung Cornish archaeologist is Charles Croft Andrew who was probably the first to pay attention to the construction and phasing of the mound in two years he excavated and meticulously recorded 36 barrows ,interestingly ,one group of 25 on Davidstow Moor produced only three cases of of evidence for deposition of human remains .

Not heard of him at all, have to investigate further.

That is interesting, that absence presumably includes cremation as well as inhumation?

I just did a quick search and there is nothing I could find on the web . Jaqueline Nowakowski was doing a bigraphy but I couldn't find a mention of that either .
Most of these barrows had cremations rather than inhumations but there is small but significant number that clearly had no remains deposited , this is taking into account removal of the remains which also took place .The dating is getting very tight these days and there are patterns appearing that we could only dream of a decade ago .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
25th August 2012ce
14:20

In reply to:

Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: