The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lodge Park Forum Start a topic | Search
Lodge Park
Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow
84 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
When there don't forgot the low bowl barrow 100 m to the SE, there seemed a real connection between the two when i was there, take a look at baza's picture [ lodge park longbarrow 3 rd picture] and i think this shows that well, and i just went though the side gate around the winter solstice, they aren't stopping me visiting the ancesters, it's a great place and i'm surprised it isn't more well known.

The long barrow is presumably earlier than the bowl barrow so the 'connection' could be purely the location possibly which is always interesting and worth following up.

The LB is, of course, much older than the RB but if you visit you will see how the RB seems to have been aligned (could get myself into trouble using that word, perhaps 'placed' is a better choice) to almost "accept" the LB as its reason for being there.
A little like a monument in front of a natural outcrop. You do feel there is definitely some relationship or as bladup says, a connection.

The bowl barrow could have been built on an earlier mortuary enclosure [or something similar], a place where the bodies were laid before some of the bones were deposited in the little chamber, therefore explaining the strong feeling of connection between the two, and the reason for the position of the later bowl barrow, i'm not saying this is true but is just a thought.

Yes that's possible and would help explain any 'feelings' one would have between the two. The older I get the more I am appreciating that 'some' people do have these genuine feelings although proving it to the sceptics or in a practical way is another matter. As long as we all appreciate each others personal views there's nowt wrong with any of that IMO.

Hey thats the thing the people who have genuine feelings are maybe the people who feel they have nothing to prove to the sceptics, in this case the sceptics are just the opposite of the people who "feel", chalk to their cheese if you like, but both important and needed, and i think everyone will feel connected to one side or the other, i myself [like yourself and others on here] try to a look at it from both sides of the fence, even though i'm clearly on the feelings side.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
24th August 2012ce
12:19

In reply to:

Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: