The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lodge Park Forum Start a topic | Search
Lodge Park
Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow
84 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Last April I visited the long barrow on the Lodge Park estate near Sherborne, Glos. (Owned by NT)
I was shocked to find substantial damage to one side of the barrow, an area 2/3 inches deep and several feet wide appeared to have been 'dug' away.

When I got home I contacted the Archaeological Adviser at Glos county council and informed them of the damage. 3 days later I got an email saying they had visited the site and it appeared to be a very bad case of cattle/sheep erosion, and that they were currently in discussion with NT about repair.

I didn't hear any more, and as i'm not local to the area haven't had the chance to to revisit. If anybody from here lives in that area, I was wondering if you could nip over and have a quick gander?
Or if you've visited recently did you notice any damage?

NT, eh?

Just been speaking to my good walking friend who lives in Cricklade, north Wiltshire - we had a "walking to Cotswold long barrows summer" two years ago when we walked around the Cotswolds visiting as many long barrows as we could find. We missed this one though which is near the Windrush Valley - apparently Lodge Park is only open to the public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Can't do this weekend but will try and visit the following weekend - I'll report back if no one gets there beforehand.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
17th August 2012ce
22:10

In reply to:

Lodge Park Long Barrow (Evergreen Dazed)

3 replies:

Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (Evergreen Dazed)
Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (baza)
Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: