The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: On the top of Silbury Hill
35 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:

Musing on the above this morning, I remembered when years ago being able to go up Silbury without having the guilt button thrown at you. and then all of the people that have been up over the past centuries. This 'sacred' veil has been thrown over the mound without any regard for history, and I'm not sure why we are not allowed, except of course the numbers that would trek to the top because (and this is my theory) the highlighting of the 'sacred' nature of Avebury by TMA, and of course archaeologists. My other half (LS) said 'Namby-pamby, nature loving, mother goddess' worshippers, and yes if you aspire to such heights making a film about Silbury you should try and make a decent video....

I don't really know why I'm bothering to comment but since 'your other half' started the topic, and since its something I feel strongly about I don't see why not. I may have misunderstood your post "I'm not sure why we are not allowed" - this puzzled me. I know a few people who do climb Silbury in the spirit of anarchy and not being dictated to by English Heritage and, although I like a quiet life, I always disagree with them. The way I see it is that Silbury is a unique and 'mystical' (to me) ancient monument without which the Avebury landscape would seem empty and bereft. We all know (and some have suffered for it) that due to the irresponsible excavations of the past it started to collapse in on itself. In 2007 careful though sometimes contentious work was done to stabilize the mound and if for no other reason that is a good enough one to ask individuals not to climb it.

This topic is locked
tjj
Posted by tjj
14th June 2012ce
18:12

1 reply:

Re: On the top of Silbury Hill (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: