The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Re: Sustainable Tourism Pledge
8 messages
Select a forum:
Define 'tourism'. Is 'global tourism' a form of consumerism that we in so called developed countries take as our right or does it make a valuable contribution to local economies? Discuss!

Getting to Callanish is not easy and I guess coach parties do turn up to spoil the atmosphere at certain times of the day in summer months. They should not to be sneered at though - that was the way I travelled to Orkney and Shetland three years ago - two days travelling to the north of Scotland and two nights on a ferry. Finally reaching the Ring of Brodgar after several tiring days travelling on a coach brought on something akin euphoria. Getting to Callanish without a car would no doubt involve a similar journey - one I hope to make.

I liked this paragraph from the STP which *could be adapted*, by those who are physically fit, and applied to visiting ancient sites in the British Isles.

Reduce Your (Carbon) Footprint
Walking, biking, and trekking or exploring one place in-depth is a good way to reduce your carbon footprint. At urban destinations, walk or take public transit whenever possible. You’ll see more and avoid getting stuck in rush-hour traffic!

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
27th April 2012ce
13:44

In reply to:

Sustainable Tourism Pledge (The Heritage Trust)

Messages in this topic: