The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Avenue Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett Avenue
Re: West Kennet Avenue
18 messages
Select a forum:
VBB wrote:
tjj wrote:
sammie wrote:
I agree it was actually an old "Sheep run" used for centuries and the road simply went over the top of it!

I agree that this is probably how the road came into being - a sheep run, which became a track then a road. We have to remember that, apart from enlightened antiquaries, Avebury was largely ignored during the two millennia when Christianity was dominant. The stones were just a backdrop to the farming activities of the area. When the road was being metalled (would it have been the early part of the 20th century - VBB will know) I don't suppose much thought was given to the Avenue. We have Alexander Keiller to thank for that.

I would be wary of the archaeological prolepsis that the heritage Borg attempts to assimilate the public with. Roman votive travellers and settlers, Saxon riverside place namers, period military occupants and map makers and such as botanists and hare coursers adopted monuments in various ways long before Camden visited with a purpose Leland recorded his itinerary and Aubrey wandered into town. As for the K.Avenue, meddling Maud launched the topsy of the 'upside down' remember before AK came on the scene to turvy, in relation to which not ‘much thought was given to the Avenue’ is crucial because M was argued by AK and A.D. Passmore to have had no realistic evidence of the former position of the stone or any realistic chance of restoring it properly after the travesty she made of Adam.

Hah! You're a good teacher VBB - your first sentence was challenging. I got the 'Borg' and 'assimilate' bit but had to look up the meaning of 'prolepsis'. Thought provoking! I was making assumptions about Avebury and how it was used (or not used) over the past two thousand years.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
5th March 2012ce
22:19

In reply to:

Re: West Kennet Avenue (VBB)

Messages in this topic: