The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Meini Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Meini
Re: Spring hunting
22 messages
Select a forum:
BuckyE wrote:
As part of a Driving the Stone Age trip I'm tentatively titling "Megameet Blues," Loie and I are particularly interested in the Stonehenge bluestones. Now, please forgive me for getting what might be seen as a bit fairylight mystical, but we were tickled by Prof. Darvill's claims at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/[...]-on-stonehenge.html?c=y&page=2 .

Especially that "...some springs around the base of the crags, many of which had been altered to create “enhanced springheads”—natural spouts had been dammed up with short walls to create pools where the water emerged from the rock. More important, some of the springheads were adorned with prehistoric art."

It is these (allegedly) damned --er, dammed-- and adorned springs we're looking for. Not just any old springs, and certainly not the springs falling from on high. Those springs we expect to find in Avebury, during what we hope will be the Megameet.

Not having much luck getting any **specific** information from the contacting I've done so far. So, anyone who can help direct us to the adorned springs would be a great help. Thanks!

Good luck .It's odd that they don't support their claims with any pics of the rock art or grid refs . I think there may be one example that has been discovered but not the detail notput into the public domain as you might expect rom archaeos .I seem to remember that D& W suggested it had once been standing ,while you do get marked standing stones the size and type of rock they were talking about is very rarely found marked vertically .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
5th March 2012ce
18:10

In reply to:

Re: Spring hunting (BuckyE)

1 reply:

Re: Spring hunting (BuckyE)

Messages in this topic: