The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Midsummer Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Midsummer Hill
Re: Scrub clearance on Scheduled monuments
16 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks for the tip on Wapley, I will try to get over there.

Indeed it was the Crippets longbarrow near Cheltenham which I had in mind when I mentioned trees on barrows and the backwards "conservation" they provide. The longbarrow is covered in Scots pines and has survived pretty well, apart from losing one end to a have-a-go treasure seeker. A few yards away in the same field is a round barrow which is reduced to little more than a circular shadow - you can only see it at certain times of the year and if you really know where to look. Take away the protection of tree cover and it's "whoops, I wasn't looking where I was going with that seed drill".

I don't know why they used to plant stands of trees on barrows - it seems like a daft idea now. But I agree that if they are there, it's better to leave them. The root damage is already done and trying to remove them is only likely to make things worse - not just from mechanical damage but the changes in moisture levels in the soil, erosion etc.

Not that any of this is necessarily relevant to what's happening on Midsummer Hill. But possibly there is an argument for leaving the trees alone, since they are there - whether they should have been allowed to grow there in the first place or not.

Reply | with quote
Rebsie
Posted by Rebsie
29th February 2012ce
00:12

Messages in this topic: