The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Time Team 2012 - "cliche-ridden pap"
90 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
for years it was the only (non-Egypt-centric) archaeology show on TV and it brought an awareness of chunks of our past that are often overlooked to a wider audience

This, to me, is where the Time Team triumphed. Look at how many excellent programmes have been spawned from the back of this. Archaeology was, in my experience, always perceived as being incredibly dull and the domain of oddballs! No disrespect to anyone here - I mean me as well! :D

I used to get so much stick for being interested in archaeology - I still do, but it's a bit more tongue-in-cheek nowadays! Either that, or I stopped caring! :D - but now it's on mainstream telly, and, like the methods or not, presented in a way which appeals to a lot more people than the subject would have done prior to their existence.

I've not seen any archaeology programmes, myself, for some time now, cos I've sort of lost the taste for it temporarily, but I doubt it'll take much to get it back. :) Especially if Alice Roberts et al get more screentime*! ;)

G x

goffik,

Well said.

I have to agree with you and all t'others who have similar opinions. I posted my opinion on the news item on TMA, so in case anyone hasn't seen my two-penneth, or for those who want to agree or disagree (peacefully, both ways, I hope) with me, here it is on the forum:-

I'm sorry to hear that. Mick was a rational voice, which is why he was in charge. It's a sad day for TV archaeology. Love it or hate it, Time Team has made archaeology popular.

I've been surprised by how many of my previously disinterested friends are now hooked on the programme, and their children more so. It seems to me that archaeology has become a bit more hip with the young, which can't be a bad thing if it gets more people thinking about taking it up as a career. I couldn't believe a mate of mine telling me it was his and his and both his sons' favourite programme. They never had any interest before Time Team.

It's like anything in today's world, you can't do anything without someone moaning about it. One minute people moan about no archaeology on telly, the next thing they're moaning about the best archaeological series that has ever been on the moron magnet.

Time Team doesn't claim to be perfect, and they are regulated - they can't just dig where they please, and when they can dig, they can't dig as quickly as they want, as they are prevented by archaeological regulations.

Criticise all you want folks, I'll stick by Time Team, me.
Regards to both sides of the debate,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
10th February 2012ce
01:11

Messages in this topic: