The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Clandon Barrow Forum Start a topic | Search
Clandon Barrow
Re: The Bush Barrow and the Clandon Barrow Lozenges
2 messages
Select a forum:
Chance wrote:
"The similarity in style between the Bush Barrow Lozenge and the Clandon Barrow Lozenge, coupled with the relatively short distance between the archaeological sites where each artefact was found, has caused some archaeologists to comment that both lozenges were probably fabricated by the same artisan (See The Wessex culture: a minimal view, by John Coles and Joan Taylor, Antiquity, XLV, 1971, pages 6-13)".

http://www.celticnz.co.nz/Clandonwebsitefiles/Clandon1a.htm

Have been reading up on some of the Wessex culture finds.

Has anyone else researched this area, and if so, have any concrete conclusions been made?

Chance

Study of old masters can reveal what paintings were executed by certain artists or their school etc., so it should not be a surprise that metalwork or jewelry can be attributed to a particular individual or school and I worked with people that could tell which engineer/technician/lathe had produced certain items. Had not thought about the items here in this context, and it could well be right in this instance if the worked markings can be compared like for like similar to an artist's brush strokes; but I was prompted to think about it by the finds at Marden - specifically the fine arrow heads with the ornate long tails. It was suggestedng that these arrow heads were perhaps made by a master craftsman showing off their skill and may have been highly prized being too delicate for actual use. My reaction was that they where you find multiple items you have to ask yourself whether it is a model or movement or fashion, such as arts and crafts copied far and wide, or were likely made by different hands and were apprentice pieces.

Reply | with quote
VBB
Posted by VBB
14th January 2012ce
09:34

Messages in this topic: