The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: Support needed for Wiltshire Heritage Museum
25 messages
Select a forum:
VBB wrote:
tjj wrote:
I like the fact that they do not want to increase the annual membership fee as they don't want to become a club for the well off elite.

http://www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk/news/?Action=8&id=144&home=1

A club for the well-off elite is exactly what the Wiltshire society and many others were. If it weren't for that elite we would have inherited a Stonehenge VC built away from the stones by Keiller and we wouldn't have Adam Longstone'restored' in concrete like a floundering whale. We also wouldn't have the museum, however, and all the many curious things such as Britton's 'Celtic Cabinet'.

Well yes! Good points and if it wasn't for the excellent series of affordable lectures run by the museum I wouldn't have learnt about the Parkers of Heytesbury - the first field archaeologists - it is true that William Cunnington was their benefactor but someone had to do the digging.

Btw - I was quoting Dr Negley Harte "We do not want to lose members, and we do not want to become a society for the well off elite". He then went on to say they would be happy to receive one off donations from those who can afford to give ....
it ain't me babe.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
5th January 2012ce
17:59

Messages in this topic: