The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cairn to SW of Hardknott Castle Forum Start a topic | Search
Cairn to SW of Hardknott Castle
Re: Cairn to SW of Hardknott Fort, Eskdale-NY21710131
4 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Gladders,

I hope this helps:-
The Archaeology Data Service (ADS) website is extremely good (use the map). At the home page select "Archsearch", then on the right hand side select "Map", zoom into the area you are interested in, click on the two corners of the area you want, and away you go. From it this is what they have to say about the site you mention:-

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archsearch/map.jsf

"A probable round cairn consisting of a consolidated mound of stone 7.0 meters in diameter and 0.5 meters in height. It is situated on high ground over looking Eskdale (field inspector, 1973). A cairn is marked here on the OS 6" (prov) 1956. It could not be located (Crawford, G. & George, C. 1983, site 1367)."

I've seen the cairn, and it does look like the numerous Bronze Age cairns throughout Cumbria. The difficulty lies with the fact that non-ancient cairns of a more modern period can look similar, if they are off the beaten track and remain un-messed with by walkers.

I hope you find the ADS site link interesting, and am sorry that I can't answer your question more positively.

Cheers,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
4th December 2011ce
00:42

Messages in this topic: