The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Down In The Doldrums
170 messages
Select a forum:
"It took someone using a computer to point out how impossible and illogical that was".

You can't give it up! There's a process which is now known as brainstorming, where you just chuck things out, and see if anything useful comes out. You wouldn't try it with a hostile person - just trying to score points - as that ends discussion and any creative response.

Your GoogleEarth projection is useful for some things but misleading for others. I've seen the summer sunset behind Amos Hill, so please don't tell me it's impossible. The value of the summer solstice sunset line running from Thornhope main stone row to Amos Hill is when you turn it around and see where it goes, which is to the steep bank on the television aerial hill. Assuming for a brief moment that Amos Hill were a Passage Grave, in the classic sense, are there any other examples of passage graves whose entrance is oriented on the midwinter sunrise?

Sadly, arguing with me causes me to consider stuff I've not looked at for a long time, such as Amos Hill. I have a fair few measurements of directions and altitudes, but you haven't angered me sufficiently to look them out. Taken with a magnetic compass they can only have an accuracy of plus or minus five degrees, which is pretty poor.

The term Thom Paradigm Event is shockingly banal and, I suggest, would cause the great pioneer considerable anguish. It is clear to me from your reasoning on the Thornhope stone row that you haven't understood his basic work. Not in Northumberland but in another place I have found an alignment on a very northerly heading. It is also suspected at the stone circle near Sellafield, to a now uprooted outlier, and at Avebury, and other sites. Thom explains his theory as to what he believed this alignment, which was to a fixed star, signified to the prehistoric builders. Sadly can no longer be verified due to precession - unlike the solstice sunsets and sunrises, which can ...

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
17th September 2011ce
08:40

In reply to:

Re: Down In The Valley (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Down In The Doldrums (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: