The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
170 messages
Select a forum:
"Your original suggestion was for a minor standstill therefore the minus 3.9 declination a lunar dec i.e. including parallax .If you are talking about solar alignments as in the case of equinoxes then the declination from the stone to the top of Kip Law is minus 4.7 . Even at minus 3.9 it is still 11 days off and 4.7 nearly 2 weeks . Regardless of all that even if the dec was spot on and the stone was a genuine rock art were you really suggesting that there was a case for an intentional alignment ?"

Of course.

But I suggested an alignment to the major standstill of the moon, not minor. I just threw out the name of Kip Law too quickly and without considering that you'd put it into your way back machine straight away. How do you calculate the elevation, incidentally. Trigonometry or a computer programme?

The stone is rock art - very cheesy - but is poorly located. GoogleEarth draws it between twenty and thirty metres away from its actual position, but that's using the TMA data and not ERA's. (Which should be the same as the stone's only been visited once with a GPS). I watched the man scribble the numbers down and it would have been so easy to get one or more of them wrong, in the bright sunshine. Rock Art does have a known association with stone rows but none, I suspect, with Iron Age walling.

I've found with these alignments that it is better to get a rough idea by calculation and then to confirm or refute them by observation. There was a scheme to watch the moon at various extreme settings a few years ago but, except for Callanish, I think I was the only person that took part, here. I got some good photographs - at the cost of many nights disturbed sleep - and still remember the events vividly.

Something else has occurred to me though - how much does Cope pay for patrolling this site?

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
16th September 2011ce
07:43

In reply to:

Re: Vised (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Visor Down (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: