The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
[quote="tiompan"]...many of the more 'common' drawings or rock art we see (or I have looked at in photos) are of the multiple circular concentric ring type or multiple cup marks...it suggests an 'everyday' theme and something almost bog standard. Would that be a fair assessment and have any worthwhile explanations of what they represent been put forward?
I suppose the difficulty in explaining(or trying to explain) what they represent is when we start assuming they are "representative" art(ie..solar patterns, geographical maps or even a form of writing, known at the time)and we could guess forever. Indeed if they weren't representative....are they merely aesthetic markings, because they are relatively easy to do...are they copied from settlement to settlement from a central source, again because of their ease to reproduce or is there a travelling band of artisan "stone-markers" decorating stones in exchange for lodgings, etc.(a wide area covered that's true!!)over the ages.

So I haven't answered your question..or even tried to..instead just expanded it to....Is rock-art (esp cups and rings)...representative, communicative or aesthetic and will we ever know?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
12th September 2011ce
05:19

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (Sanctuary)

2 replies:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)
My precious finds ... (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: