The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks for breaking that up. I could have used the intervention a few days ago. There are some natural cupmarked (or pitted, more like) stones, at the Knar, that have been gathered together, but these aren't they. I'm still learning, of course ...

When I was a child there was a solid stone bridge over a little stream, down Ivy Road. We used to play there a bit - mid nineteen fifties - Robin Hood/Friar Tuck games mainly. This little stone bridge was pulled out, perhaps in the eighties, and stuck in the garden of a local church. It was a christianised standing stone, with a dinky little cross on top, that had been hidden in the bankside. This stone is cupmarked, on one side, but nobody will ever admit that they are actually cupmarks. We've no idea where the standing stone originally stood, of course, and the best guess is where Ivy Road is now.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
10th September 2011ce
18:49

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: