The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Idol Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Idol Stone
Re: Unfortunately nothing new
54 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
You wouldn't be able tell if the RA was open air , British climate taphonomy etc .Newgrange is well protected and dry , no evidence of anything from there , doesnt' mean that they wern't highlighted or coloured though . Freshly marked rock is pretty striking enough on it's own with good contrast of old surface and new and if quartz is used the markings are brilliant white , for a while .Some markings may have been "re-done " .

Cheers George. I guess we know from much earlier periods (i.e. paleolithic) that dyes and colours were used to decorate stones/rocks and the Aboriginal use of colours continues. Take your point entirely about contrast, especially with white quartz.

Just relied I might have been a bit clearer if I had said that the quartz was the rock doing the marking rather than marked ,not that we know that was the case but quartz is found in association with RA sites but then again it is also incredibly common .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
4th August 2011ce
20:19

In reply to:

Re: Unfortunately nothing new (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: