The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: Reclining goddess or Slag Alice?
51 messages
Select a forum:
Resonox wrote:

There are a few, what are laughingly called, landfills around this area...the purpose of a landfill, I thought was to fill a hole in the ground...usually with the excess human detritus that doesn't rot for a thousand years...but there are now new hills formed where no hills existed before or at least not in human memory(one prime example is glaringly obvious on the A24 from Kingsfold into Horsham.....I have a feeling that one such new landscape has covered over two "listed"(on old maps) tumulii near Storrington too...I haven't investigated but I noticed a "new hill" on (or at least perilously close to)the site, whilst driving past quite recently.

Landfill hills never quite hit the 'natural' look sadly all this new shaping of the landscape looks like that children's programme about ten years ago (can't remember the name but it had a sun baby) smoothly rounded hills with artifical flowers and rabbits hopping happily around - often wondered if they caught the rabbits afterwards or did they breed promiscuosly till it became overrun with them ;)

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
27th July 2011ce
06:00

Messages in this topic: